Saturday, May 23, 2009

Remind me again why I'm in Senegal

This place is nothing if not interesting. I got in at 440am Wednesday, just in time for the first call to prayer, stayed at a decent hotel in the bustling, dirty, polluted, very hectic downtown. I've not been pickpocketed yet. Now I'm out in the 'burbs, holing up with an embassy staffer. It's very nice- next to the Indonesian embassy. I'm practicing French, sweating a lot, and will get started at work on Tuesday. I already tried posting once, but as I finished the power cut out. Usually the power stays on, there's no violent crime, there's Internet. There are many people with polio and disfigurements hanging out downtown, and make-shift buses that have a lot of people hanging off of them.

I think I'll get a decent experience at the FCS office (in a "challenging business environment", according to the ambassador) and it is pretty cool meeting a bunch of diplomats. I got to meet the ambassador on my first day. I talk to ya soon

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the ambassador? I'm jealous of you all over again.

    Best of luck, man, and look forward to seeing you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete